Saturday, July 16, 2011

Radio


"I think I'm in love with my radio. It never lets me down"- Beyonce

This is the most recent in many attempts to start a blog and I figure if I focus the blog on something that I love, I may stick with it.  And one thing anybody will tell you that I love is music.  My Ipod contains music from so many genres and artists that I'm almost scared to put it on shuffle as I have no clue what may come next. 

My love affair with music began at a tender young age where I was still running around in lavender footie pajamas. One Christmas, my parents introduced me to what may quite possibly be my first love.   




That Fisher-Price radio remained at my side at all times and I remember what my favorite station was at the time. It was when 96.3 FM in Detroit played a mixture of music.  You could hear everything from rock to pop to R&B and it was a beautiful thing.  I don't know how many tone-deaf renditions of Shirley Murdock and Denise Williams my family had to endure with that microphone, but I know I loved every minute of it.  Somehow, the microphone went missing, but I'm sure that was an accident.  I just knew that whenever it was on, I was focused.  Music made my world go round.  And my mom figured this out, but got a little wiser which led to this next present.

Yes, notice there is no microphone, but there is a cassette player.  And I felt so in control when I purchased my very first cassette, MC Hammer's "Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em".  I won't go into all the radios, Walkmans, Discmans, stereos, mp3 players and Ipods I owned after this radio, just know that there were a lot and each has a special place in my heart as each played the music that eventually became the soundtrack of my life.  For every event or situation, I can think of a song.

Which brings me to the point of this blog.  Today, I turned 29 and I am peering over at 30 with the side eye.  Something tells me this year will be one of reflection and so I plan to use this blog as a way to do that creatively.  A song will always be posted and 99.9% of the time it will be one from my Ipod or ITunes library.  Sometimes, the blog following will focus on a moment in my life.  At other times, it will focus on a thought or a philosophy of mine.  There may be times I decide to just focus on the actual day that I am writing the blog.  All I know is that by the end of this, anyone reading this should have more insight into who I am. 

1 comment: