Sunday, March 4, 2012

100%

"I'm a believer, not just a dreamer. I'm giving everything a got. I'm a go-getter. 100-percenter."-Mariah Carey

I've come to a very important conclusion about the people that I surround myself with. Half-assers and I do not get along that well.

Seriously, I can only tolerate so much of people whose dreams and plans only truly exist as fantasies. If you want to be in fashion, work runway shows, network, maybe even move to New York, LA or Miami. You may be eating Ramen Noodles for awhile but you will at least be a step closer to your goals. If you truly need a job, don't just complain and say I need a job. Go out and network. When people give you job leads, take them up on it. Don't say suggestions are too far or you're too good for something because broke and in debt is never too good for an actual paycheck.

And I've come to realize part of the reason why I am like this. Most of the people that I associate with on a regular basis are do-ers. I have one friend that is pretty much in the process of starting a business while also writing a book. Another friend decided that she wanted to live a healthier lifestyle so she spends a great chunk of her week working out. I cannot name the countless successful associates and friends from college who have gone on to become architects, editors and doctors. My linesister is going for her Ph.D. and she's a single mom with two kids. My married niece is currently working on her Ph.D., working as a teacher and working as a hardcore Mary Kay consultant (She wants to drive a pink Cadillac Escalade like the ones in the majors.) In the past two years, one of my friends has gotten married, attended school for a degree in education and joined my sorority. If you notice, I don't say they're talking about doing, they're doing. And we won't even go into all the craziness I've done over the past 12 years to make sure that I'm growing as a person.

So yeah, for all those reasons, I can't be dealing with half-assers on a regular basis. I know too many 100 percenters.

1 comment: