Wednesday, October 26, 2011

King of Anything

"You've got opinions man. We're all entitled to them. But I didn't ask."- Sara Bareilles



One thing I’ve learned in this life is that being quiet is often seen as a sign of weakness.  Or an invitation to espouse on the direction one’s life should take or the decisions that one makes.

Over the last couple of years, I realize that this behavior has led some of my “friends” to the belief that I obviously have no clue what I’m doing or need some direction.  And very often when they would decide to do this, I just shut down.  This is mainly a result of enjoying peace after being raised with parents who viewed arguing as recreational activity within a marriage.  Nine times out of ten, unless it resulted in me being harmed or losing money, I kept quiet.  This had me regarded as passive aggressive and a pushover.  So the fuck what.

However, as I am nearing thirty, I am realizing that I should enjoy that passive aggressiveness with peace of mind.  If that means taking vacations by myself to avoid allowing people to think they’re in control or need to advise me on everything from what I eat to what’s going on with my car, so be it.  If I’m on a vacation, I don’t want to hear about that.  I especially don’t want to hear about such things from people who are unhappy with their own circumstances.

I came into this world by myself.  I grew up by myself.  Trust, I have figured out how to do a hell of a lot by myself while maintaining my own peace of mind.  I am who I am. I do what I do. If someone don’t like it. To them, I say fuck you.  

2 comments:

  1. I never understood why people think that being quiet is a sign of weakness? I always thought it was the quiet ones you need to watch out for!

    ReplyDelete