Monday, February 27, 2012

Me Time

"All things being equal, I always put you first."- Heather Headley

It is Monday evening and I am still thinking about how much I enjoyed this weekend of pretty much just me.

All I did was clean my apartment (which resulted in the loss of a Bluetooth that I still haven't recovered yet), watch a little TV, run some errands and play on my Wii. But it was all about me. I even found time to look into plans for the birthday weekend I'm planning in June and my trip to Chicago for Boule.

I know it's not a big deal but I haven't spent an entire weekend in my apartment, let alone in the state of Ohio, since January. The first weekend I was in D.C. for a birthday party, the second weekend found me in Detroit for a baby shower and then I headed back to the D for my cousin's birthday dinner and a concert.

Outside of the concert, pretty much everything I did centered around someone else and I love being there for the ones I love. But I really started to look forward to the weekend to myself as it inched closer and closer. Also, I've noticed over the course of my life, I have often had a tendency to prioritize others above my need for space and free time. Sometimes it came from an assumption that if I turn down an opportunity to do something, nothing else will arise when I want to do something.  Other times, it comes more from peer pressure.  That's why when I really don't want to be by myself, I find ways to neglect my phone. 

So, for a weekend, I really prioritized myself. And you know what, it was worth it. And I don't have anything scheduled for next weekend so I may just get another chance to do so. And supposedly some Girl Scouts will be selling cookies nearby.  A possible weekend in my recently cleaned home with Tagalongs and Cinderella featuring Whitney. Could a girl be so lucky?

No comments:

Post a Comment