Thursday, March 24, 2016

Supa

"I can't be Supa all the time."-Chrisette Michele

 Sometimes people label you in a way meant as a compliment, but it only results in you feeling some kind of way that rejects the label like a three-year old rejects that yucky bubblegum penicillin.

That's how I feel about the compliment "super". Why? Because I am already working through the perfectionist standards I place on myself. Others are not needed nor wanted.

Working hard and having discipline come second nature for me. Saying what I mean and meaning what I say also prove not to be challenge. I used to expect these things from others but now I just meet people where they are. However when I ask those same people to not place me on some kind of weird pedestal, they seem unable to do so.

The other problem with being labeled "super" is my perception of the attribute. When people think of you as super, they tend to also think of you as not needing help and it leaves you very little room for public failure that will not be ridiculed. I already put enough pressure on myself. Who needs that?

So there it is. That is why I don't like being called Super. At the end of the day, I know all the work and failings that go into making it apparently look effortless to others. That's not Super, that's just taking care of business.


1 comment: